Sunday, September 14, 2008

Nicole's Commentary 15 September 2008

As I watch my children learn from me, I reflect on my greatest mentor, my mom. I really cannot put all the lessons she taught me here but I will focus on a very important one - Believe In Yourself.


My mom told me all the time that I could do anything. She said don't let your current circumstances dictate your life. Not only did she say this but she went out and through her drive and determination changed our circumstances.


We moved about every 3 years to a better place. (I thought we were the Jeffersons!). When the administrators at the school district told my mom that we missed the deadline to apply to Masterman, I got accepted in spite of the deadline. (Clue - administrative assistants have all the power). When the financial aid officers at University of NC at Greensboro said I needed to have $3000 dollars to attend school, my mom found a way to get the money in 2 days. She believed it would happen and once the mind believes the universe aligns to make it happen (add The Secret to your bookshelf).


That same attitude resonates in me. My mom taught me to believe in myself and so it is very hard to think I can't do something. The answer "no" is not congruent with my beliefs. Marketing is the belief in yourself and your product transferred to someone else. We must show through our marketing efforts that we offer the best value (price point, social impact) and that belief will be transferred by using our products consistently. One of the ways to transfer to belief is attending networking events and exchanging business cards. This shows that you are willing to talk about your business.


Now as a parent, I have a responsibility to teach my children that they can do anything they want in their lifetime. My job is to build belief in them by leading by example and proving that an idea, a desire to work hard, communication skills, and belief in yourself are all the tools you need to be successful entrepreneur. The bank might not give you a loan or you might not have the right skill set but these setbacks are only temporary. With these characteristics, you will attract like-minded individuals (i.e. the businesses on DiversePhilly) who are all striving to make the vision a reality. With patience and mentoring through the rough patches, you will make it to your destiny. As my network marketing business likes to say "You can not stop a man or a woman who will not quit".


Thank you Mom for believing in my abilities and leading by example to instill the entreprenuerial spirit that anything is possible.

No comments: